An Ashoka, Rotary World Peace and TED Fellow alumn, I have for over fourteen years explored and advocated the use of Information andCommunications Technologies (ICTs) to strengthen a just peace, reconciliation,human rights and democratic governance. I set up and curate the award winning Groundviews, Sri Lanka’s first citizenjournalism website. An expert on new media literacy, web activism, digitalsecurity and online advocacy in Sri Lanka and internationally, I also work extensively on the advancement of information management during crises, both sudden-onsetand protracted. I am a recognized expert and trainer on digital security for activists and journalists at risk, using technology and encryption to capture,disseminate and archive vital stories during the war in Sri Lanka and in austere human rights contexts.
- Senior Researcher at the Centre for Policy Alternatives and formerly Head of ICT and Peacebuilding at InfoShare.
- Special Advisor to the ICT4Peace Foundation, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Founding Editor of Groundviews, Sri Lanka’s first and award winning civic media website launched in 2006.
- Technical Advisor to Vikalpa, the sister site of Groundviews operating in Sinhala and also to Maatram, the Tamil equivalent of Groundviews.
- Columnist at The Sunday Island newspaper.
- Visiting Faculty at the Department of English, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Former lecturer at Sri Lanka College of Journalism (SLCJ) in new media.
- Former lecturer at the University of Lugano, Switzerland in Master of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Logistics and Management course.
- TED Fellow alumn
- Rotary World Peace Scholar, 2004 – 2005
- Ashoka Foundation News & Knowledge Fellow
Research on media and ICT4Peace
- Some of my academic writing and original research on media, peacebuilding and technology for peacebuilding (ICT4Peace) can be read here.
- My blog on ICT4Peace can be accessed here.
CV and bio
- For full CV and professional experience, click here.